What makes a school system exceptional? In my experience as a school attorney and parent, the exceptional school systems share many of the following characteristics:
- Leadership that creates clear short and long-term goals with input from the staff and community.
- Administrators that inspire their staff to work toward meeting these goals.
- Consistent curriculum which is aligned throughout all schools K-12.
- A school climate wherein administrators, teachers, staff, and parents feel respected and valued.
- Teachers are provided with the time, technology, and resources necessary to provide the best education possible.
- Making it a priority that ALL students are treated equally and with compassion.
- Decisions are made in a transparent and open manner.
- Stakeholders' opinions are treated with respect, and are given due consideration.
- An atmosphere of trust and collaboration, wherein teachers and other members of the school community can provide input and recommendations for improvement.
- The School Committee and Board of Selectmen have an open line of communication, and work collaboratively.
- A community that supports education both financially and through volunteerism.
Please vote on June 9th.
Russ Dupere (www.facebook.com/dupereforcommittee)