Sunday, May 31, 2020

Ken Taylor- Candidate for Re-election to the Longmeadow Planning Board

This post was submitted by Ken Taylor, current member of the Longmeadow Planning Board and who is running for re-election in the upcoming Annual Town Elections on June 16
___________________________________________


I am Ken Taylor and am running for re-election to the Longmeadow Planning Board.  I have been a town resident for 52 years and both of my children have graduated from the town school system.  I am a graduate Engineer from the WNEC University and am a licensed Professional Engineer in the state of Massachusetts.  In my work career I was a Project Engineer and Forensic Metallurgist.
I served on the Water and Sewer Commission for 21 years prior to the town changing to Town Manager style.

I have served on the Planning Board for 13 years.  I love Longmeadow and am aware of the need to provide guidance to the natural, historic and cultural resources.  Since I moved here, I have seen Longmeadow change from a town with open fields to one which is fully developed.

The most important issue facing the town is the proposed Gas Pumping / Metering station on the Longmeadow Country Club grounds.  The Planning Board has had many public meetings resulting in a series of by-laws that will hopefully stop the installation.  Another issue will be town finances.  The current tax base cannot support all the services the residents want.  Any new developments that could provide more tax revenues will come before the Planning Board.  Other issues will be the Water Tower property, the former Christian Science Church redevelopment, the re-use of the former Synagogue on Williams Street, the possible consolidation of the Middle School and the use of those properties. 

The recent accomplishments of the Planning Board are the Brewer-Young Mansion zone change and commercial development, the Dwight Road Medical project, the Willie Ross School expansion, the Pride gas station development, and the Longmeadow Shops expansion.

By definition the Planning Board has the responsibility to guide the development of the Town in the best interest of all its residents. The Planning Board plays an important role in developing the visions for future growth and preservation of the community by listening to the public for opinions and comments concerning the welfare and appearance of the town’s residential appeal and formulating rules and by-laws in an effort to maintain the unique character of Longmeadow.

I feel that my education and work experience will continue to be of great assistance in evaluating proposals from a different viewpoint as I work with the others on the Planning Board and coordinating with other Boards for the betterment of all residents in this lovely town of ours.

I ask for your vote on Election Day, Tuesday, June 16.

Thank you.

Ken Taylor

No comments: