Monday, January 23, 2023

Why I'm Running for Longmeadow Select Board - Vineeth Hemavathi

This information was submitted by Vineeth Hemavathi to the LongmeadowBuzz blog who is running as a candidate in the Preliminary Election on  February 7 for the open Select Board seat.

____________________________________

My name is Vineeth Hemavathi, and I’m running in the February 7, 2023 Preliminary Election for the Longmeadow Select Board. I’ve spent my entire life in public service as a: 

  • Teacher

  • Organizer

  • National security analyst

  • Attorney advocating for victims of domestic violence 

  • Attorney representing victims of housing discrimination right here in Western MA

Public service has always been my day job, and it’s provided me with the experience to be a valuable Select Board member. I didn’t choose which child walked into my classroom, or which victim of domestic violence called our office asking for help. I had to assess every person and unique situation as it came and work within the budget and time constraints to develop creative solutions, engage community partners, and employ the necessary resources to deliver results. I’ve always fought for those who had nowhere else to turn. These skills and this commitment to public service are exactly what our Town needs in their elected officials.

I will also bring important perspectives to the Select Board. The Select Board has five members, and to ensure the best decisions are made, we need to have folks of different experiences, expertise, and perspectives sitting at the table. If elected to the Select Board, I would be the first person of color ever elected, the only member with a career in public service, and the only member with preschool aged children. These perspectives matter when we’re making decisions today that will affect our Town’s tomorrow.

I plan on running in the June Annual Town Election, but first thing’s first, I hope to have your vote in the February 7, 2023 Preliminary Election. Voting will take place at the Longmeadow Community House at 735 Longmeadow Street, and the polls will be open from 7 am - 8 pm.

If you’d like to learn more about our campaign, check us out on Facebook at Vote Vineeth for Longmeadow Select Board and on Instagram at vote.vineeth.

I look forward to talking to you and earning your vote.


No comments: