Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Mary Keane- Candidate for Re-Election- Longmeadow School Committee

Candidates for Select Board and School Committee in the upcoming Longmeadow Annual Town Elections on June 11 were asked to provide their election profile and answer a series of questions so that town voters would be better informed about their candidacy. Mary Keane current Vice-chair of the Longmeadow School Committee and listed on the June 11 Election Ballot asked to share the following letters to town residents/ voters

_____________________________________

Dear Fellow Longmeadow Residents,

Serving on the Longmeadow School Committee for the past three years has been both challenging and rewarding! I had hoped to continue to serve in this capacity for another term, but I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. My treatment plan is intensive, but expected outcomes are very good.

I am sad to let you know that I will not be able to commit to fulfilling School Committee duties during treatment. At this point in the election process, the ballots have been sent to the printer, and my name will appear. If elected, I will need to withdraw. I am so appreciative of your support, and I deeply regret that I will be unable to serve another term.

I do have two requests.

  1. At the Town Meeting on May 14th, please vote in support of the warrant article directed toward funding an elementary literacy curriculum. The current literacy program used by LPS no longer meets the needs of students based on a compelling body of research about how students learn to read. The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education supports the need for districts to move away from the approach currently used by LPS and to adopt a program grounded in the Science of Reading. In my time on the Committee, I have strongly advocated for research-based literacy instruction that will set students up for future academic success. Please vote yes on this warrant.

  2. If you or someone you know is due for a mammogram, please schedule your appointment. My cancer was detected by a regular screening mammogram. I do not feel sick. If not for a routine mammogram, I would not know that I have cancer.

Thank you for the opportunity to represent our community on the Longmeadow School Committee for these past three years.

All my best,
Mary Keane 


No comments: