Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Katie Girard- Candidate for Re-election to the School Committee

The following was submitted by Katie Girard who is running for re-election to the Longmeadow School Committee.
_____________________________________________
 

I am running for re election because I feel that my work on the School Committee is far from finished.

My goals for the School Committee are driven by keeping our eyes on the child. As we approach the end of this strategic plan, I look forward to shaping the next one by being an active partner in its development to broaden the educational opportunities for our students, give students choice and voice in their educations so that they may find and nurture their unique passions.


We need greater collaboration between our schools and the greater Longmeadow community. People of all ages support the of  mission the school committee and we must ensure we support them. In my next term I want to champion collaboration with everyone in our community-- not just the ones who have children in school. That's why I'm working to establish more collaboration between the schools and the community by creating more opportunities for partnerships not only between boards, but with our senior community, Longmeadow Transitions, and the Historical Society just to name a few.

We have a responsibility to our students and to members of the community to be fiscally responsible while providing an excellent education to all students. While my central focus is the student, this does not mean that I have tunnel vision.

Finally, I want to continue to ensure all students receive exceptional educations.

As W.E.B. DuBios said, “Of all the civil rights for which the world has struggled and fought for 5,000 years, the right to learn is undoubtedly the most fundamental... The freedom to learn... has been bought by bitter sacrifice. We must insist upon this to give our children the fairness of a start which will equip them with such an array of facts and such an attitude toward truth that they can have a real chance to judge what the world is and what its greater minds have thought it might be.”


No comments: