Sunday, May 21, 2023

Why I am Running for Re-Election to Longmeadow School Committee

This letter was submitted to LongmeadowBuzz by Nicole Choiniere- a candidate for re-election to the Longmeadow School Committee.

____________________________


Ten years ago, I moved to Longmeadow with my husband and our three children because we loved the town’s sense of community, excellent schools, public library programs, and open spaces for walking and biking. When my children were younger, I volunteered with the PTO in the Center School library and became the parent volunteer coordinator. I later spent two years serving on the board of directors for LEEF, volunteering with the committee to raise funds and review grant applications for teacher-directed educational opportunities for our students. In 2020, I was elected to the school committee, where I’ve been serving for three years.

As a history teacher who works in West Springfield, I emphasize the importance of the democratic process and civic engagement – but these values are not merely academic to me. I know from my experience, in previous volunteer positions and my current term on the school committee, that a successful and supportive education system depends upon the knowledge and cooperation of many people. It’s the administrators, teachers, school staff, and families who work to keep academic and emotional growth at the heart of our children’s learning. I am seeking reelection to continue supporting that work, especially at a time when we are in the middle of exciting and important projects, including the middle school building project, curriculum work, initiatives related to our DEIB goals, and other ongoing community projects.

School committee work is intense and multi-faceted, and it is important to rely on the experience and expertise of others. I’ve been so impressed by the people with whom I work every week, and I’m grateful to have been nurtured in my role by so many professional and attentive individuals. I’m so proud of what we’ve accomplished together in my time as a school committee member. My collaboration with such a smart, talented, and dedicated group of people has helped me to acquire meaningful experience and expertise myself. I’ve learned a lot about how the educational system in Longmeadow works, from state and local funding to classroom curriculum, from building initiatives to contract negotiations. It would be my distinct pleasure to continue serving our town and applying what I’ve learned for the sustained improvement of our children’s future.

Nicole Choiniere

No comments: