Friday, May 12, 2023

Why I am running as a Candidate for School Committee

This letter was submitted to LongmeadowBuzz by Kency Gilet- a candidate for the Longmeadow School Committee in the upcoming Annual Town Elections.

____________________________________

My name is Kency Gilet and a candidate for the Longmeadow School Committee. I moved to Longmeadow with my three children, Alicia, Adam, and Abigail specifically because of the exceptional Longmeadow Public Schools. In a year of many changes for us, a community that welcomes diverse families was a comfort. Two of my kids attend Wolf Swamp Road Elementary and one attends Glenbrook Middle School.

As a full time, single father to three LPS students, my stake in the continued success of Longmeadow Schools is clear. I believe our students can overcome the most difficult circumstances life will throw at them. They are not the victim of their traumas, but the champion of their strengths and skills. The dire situation in our schools regarding the rates of depression and suicidal ideation is a concerning trend that requires a proactive response. I’m running to support our students in leveraging their strengths and community resources to create their own legacy of success and happiness.

Professionally, I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and National Certified Counselor with over a decade of experience treating kids, teens and families suffering from emotional, behavioral, and mental disturbances. My private clinical practice is in East Longmeadow, and I serve as Vice President of a nonprofit mental health organization treating children and families with mental illness in Easthampton. Additionally, I have been an adjunct professor of psychology at Pace University for over a decade. Maybe my favorite professional experience was serving as PTO President of Pottenger Elementary School in Springfield from 2015-2017.

I am deeply committed to promoting mental wellness, life readiness, and parental engagement in our schools.

If honored to join an already well-functioning committee, I will prioritize the following areas:

Mental Wellness: I believe that mental wellness is essential to student success. I’m motivated to work with the full committee to ensure that our schools provide the necessary resources and supports for students to maintain good mental health. This includes promoting self-care practices, implementing social-emotional learning programs, and providing access to mental health professionals when needed.

Life Readiness: Our schools prepare students for success beyond the classroom. I will support efforts to ensure that LPS provides a well-rounded education that includes essential life skills such as financial literacy, career readiness, and civic engagement. I will also advocate for experiential learning opportunities that allow students to apply their knowledge in real-world situations. There are many paths to success that should be presented to our students.

Parental Engagement: Caregivers play a critical role in education, and I believe that strong parental engagement is essential to student success. I will leverage my experience strengthening partnerships between schools and families to provide opportunities for parents to get involved and have a voice in their child's education. This includes creating a welcoming and inclusive school environment, promoting regular communication between parents and educators, and providing resources for parents to support learning at home.

I am ready to work collaboratively with school administrators, teachers, parents, and community members to ensure that our schools provide the highest caliber of education for our students. If elected, I will be a dedicated advocate for mental wellness, life readiness, and parental engagement in our schools.

I humbly ask that you vote Kency Gilet for Longmeadow School Committee on Tuesday June 13.

Respectfully,

Kency Gilet, LMHC, NCC

No comments: