Saturday, June 11, 2022

Why I’m Running For The Longmeadow Select Board- Dan Zwirko

This information was submitted to the LongmeadowBuzz blog by Dan Zwirko who is running for Select Board on June 14.

_____________________________________


My name is Dan Zwirko. I am running for the Longmeadow Select Board and I respectfully ask for your vote on Tuesday, June 14th. I grew up in Longmeadow and I am a product of the school system from first grade at Center School to graduating LHS in 2003. I went on to the University of Vermont where I was captain of the D1 lacrosse team. I came back to Longmeadow to serve my community as Representative Brian Ashe’s first legislative aide for nearly 5 years. This position allowed me to fight for local aid, assist with constituent issues, and build relationships with our local and state officials. Since then, I’ve been working in software security sales.

 

I am running for Select Board because I care about helping people and I want to give back to the community that has given so much to me. The challenges we face in the years ahead will impact the next generation of residents. We know that what has been tried, hasn’t always worked. Bringing new ideas and a new voice, and working with all stakeholders, will be my approach.

 

Over the past 3 months, I have knocked on over 1,000 doors to hear concerns and ideas from our residents. Our elected officials need to engage more with our residents, be visible, and approachable. With many working families in town, we should also leverage technology and social media to interact. Residents have appreciated the positive campaign I’ve run. 

 

Longmeadow provides many quality services and beautiful green spaces for everyone to enjoy. We need to maintain these through sound fiscal management. We must identify creative ways to increase our revenue outside of residential property taxes. By engaging with the Massachusetts Municipal Association, councilors outside of Longmeadow, and our own residents, we will identify innovative ideas to implement here.

 

My relationships in our region, as well as on Beacon Hill, are deep. Like it or hate it, we are dependent on state funding. Because many of our challenges will require assistance from the state, I will use my knowledge and relationships to shine a light on our needs and aggressively advocate for funding. Whether it is the looming tax ceiling, local aid, or infrastructure, I can lead in this area.

 

As our community grows, so does its make-up. For Longmeadow to be a community open to all, we must recruit a more diverse set of candidates to fill our current vacancies on various boards and committees. Our current demographic make-up isn’t well represented and we can do better. Longmeadow can be the community that brings people together, not pulls us apart.

 

Finally, I would like to see Longmeadow do more community-wide events to connect all of us, such as a winter carnival, outdoor concerts, art displays, fishing derbies, and summer porchfests that highlight local musicians and our unique neighborhoods. These are ways we can showcase ourselves and build our community together. 

 

Please join me in moving Longmeadow forward. I respectfully ask for your vote on Tuesday, June 14th!

 

Thank You,

 

Dan Zwirko

Candidate for the Longmeadow Select Board

No comments: