Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Zach Verriden for Longmeadow School Committee

This letter was submitted to LongmeadowBuzz by Zach Verriden- a candidate for Longmeadow School Committee on June 14.

My name is Zach Verriden and I am running for Longmeadow School Committee. I am running because I care deeply about civil service and serving our community. I am a lifelong educator who currently serves as the Chair of the Longmeadow Select Board’s Coalition for Racial Justice Task Force Chair, as a member of the Blueberry Hill Elementary School Council, a parent in the Special Education Alliance of Longmeadow (SEAL) and as a leader with the Longmeadow Anti-Racism Coalition (LARC). Through these experiences in Longmeadow, I have repeatedly heard a desire to create a more equitable and inclusive Longmeadow. I am also, most importantly, a Longmeadow parent. I hope to bring these experiences and insights to the Longmeadow School Committee in order to build on excellence with an eye toward equity and inclusion for all learners.

 

I have taught in classrooms across the country and am passionate about education.  I have also served as a building principal and district superintendent while navigating facility renovation and construction projects very similar to the middle school(s) decision facing Longmeadow at this time. I am a career educator who received my master’s degree in Education Policy and Management in 2008 from Harvard University and am currently completing my Ph.D. in K-12 Education and Policy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I also hold a business certificate in Educational Entrepreneurship from Rice University.

 

I am a proud father of four children and our family moved to Longmeadow, Massachusetts specifically for the educational opportunities offered to my children, but in particular for my oldest son Henry who requires a complex Individualized Education Program (IEP). As a parent, educator and neighbor, I hold the unique perspective of being on both sides of the table for children in Longmeadow.  I have worked as an independent educational consultant offering innovative solutions to educators and currently serve as the Senior Director of Youth & Family Programs at the Springfield JCC. 

 

I look forward to working in partnership with a wide range of community members and colleagues on the Longmeadow School Committee and throughout the school community to realize the district’s vision of seeing all students engaged in rigorous, introspective, and culturally responsive learning with a commitment to anti-racism, equity and social justice. 

 

I need your vote on Tuesday, June 14th to help Longmeadow Public Schools realize the promise of excellence with equity for all learners.

 

Zach Verriden, Candidate for Longmeadow School Committee

 

No comments: